Monday 9 March 2015

ULTRA RUNNING- TIPS ON PACING

Just over two weeks ago I ran the BEDROCK 53 km at Coopers Creek - I was pacing a friend of mine through the race. The goal was to pace the race at 5.45 to 6 hours, I ended up doing just on 6 hours. Legs were still tired from three recent 100 km races I had done. Now I am feeling a lot better.

The goal in the race was effective PACING and I achieved it - it wasn't about winning or placing it was about pacing and I achieved that.

I was leading a group for the first 10 km, though I snuck off into the bushes after a hill. I felt the pace was too quick for the overall pace I wanted to run as I usually start to pick it up at 40k is when I really push the pace (yes I am a long distance runner!).

TIPS ON PACING an ULTRA::
  1. Don't start off too fast - especially if there is a lot of down hill, you don't want to burn yourself out as you pay for it later
  2. Look at the elevation profile of the race - know your strengths - know when it is going to be good for you to push hard or back off. For me I will back off over real technical terrain though push up the hills which are my strength, I am strong up the hills though no good at downhills!
  3. Know where you want to be at each aid station - splits - this is important, it does not have to be exact, though within 10 mins give or take know the pace you want to hit.
  4. Look for someone who you think could be a similar pace and stick with them.
  5. Do not worry if there is a whole bunch of runners that pass you the first 20k - it is tough to be patient though sometimes you have to be. It is easier to pass later than be passed!
  6. TRAIL pacing - it is more difficult than road pacing though if you look at the elevation profile it should be easier. If there is a flatish or mountain road, estimate your road speed and go with it. When I ran on the BEDROCK roads I wanted to make sure I wasn't going any slower than 5 min KMS. Know your strengths, know your weaknesses,  and focus on what you can do well:-)
Check out this link for some awesome tips 

http://m.runnersworld.com/running-tips/21-quick-trail-running-tips?page=single

No comments:

Post a Comment